[QOTW] Science Test [11/24/19]

QOTW qotw at qotw.net
Sun Nov 24 10:02:48 EST 2019

This week, QOTW has decided to test its subscriber base in the field of
science. This test will count for 70% of your grade in whatever science
class you are currently taking. Please use a #2 pencil. While we wait
for the chimes to sound, here’s last week’s winner of QOTW:

“I am so mad at you, Collin, I’m going to draw a graph” —Anand

(doo-doo-doooo... boop) Okay, there’s the bell. You may begin.

1. What is science? What is math? What is school? What is the meaning of
life?

2. Which of the following organelles are found in animals?
A) Vacuoles
B) Lysosomes
C) Chloroplasts
D) Potatoes

3. Design an experiment by which you collect quotes from Commonwealth
students and then determine which quote is the funniest.

4. What is the powerhouse of the cell?

5. Why are so many of this week’s quotes about STEM? Do you think other
subjects deserve representation as well? Please write a 5-page essay
which incorporates evidence from the text.

(doo-doo-doooo... boop) Time’s up. Please hand in your tests. For
homework due next class, please read and annotate the following quotes:

“The memes are penetrating too deep!!” —Anand

“The helium is not a 5-year-old, Chris.” —Anand, after Chris offered an
idea on how to “trick” helium into separating from CNG

“Frogs are photosynthetic because they are green.” —Jason

(Ben Mawn-Mahlau laughing in response to Nathan’s wrong answer)
Ms. Sundberg: “Okay, well he’s just dying”

Mr. Letarte: “Marbles are safe. They don’t lead to any vices.”
Izziy: “Bubble tea”
Mr. Letarte: “Bubble tea is not a vice!…Wait, actually, if you look at
the spending on bubble tea in my family, bubble tea is probably a vice.”

Mr. Wharton: (takes out advent calendar gift) “Plastic grapes?”
Alyona: “If you ever find yourself at a Symposium…”
(shoutout to the Commonwealth Instagram)

“Always pay attention to naked ladies!” —Ms. Grant

(laughing after reading a history source) “Sorry, I just find sexism
really funny” —Ms. Haber

Chef Isaiah: “2 quesadillas a person”
Eric: (takes 3 quesadillas) “I’m 1 and a half people”

“I was going to say something but I’m afraid it would end up in Quote of
the Week.” —Mr. Letarte

Through the magic of the interwebs, I have collected and graded your
tests, and everyone got B+/A−s.

Sincerely,
Mr. Perkins