[QOTW] qotw 3/12/06

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Mar 12 21:46:32 EST 2006

Hello Again!
	I have managed to yet again seize control of the small empire we call
QOTW. You may address me as Kommandant (yes, with a “K”). More
importantly, this time, I intend to present you with quotes that you will
not sneer at. It hurts my feelings when you sneer. Also? This is a chance
for me to give a shout-out to my new favorite movie, Night Watch. If you
like songs o’ woe song by cursed witches in the shapes o’ owls, bottles
o’ vodka mixed with pints o’ blood, virgins o’ curses that accidentally
kill puppies o’ cuteness and Russian-dubbed episodes o’ Buffy the Slayer
o’ vampires, it is totally your movie. I like it, so I guess that means
many of you won’t, but you should also know that my father, a grave and
venerable librarian in a tweed jacket, also enjoyed it. I really don’t
know what that says about their target audience in the US, but that’s not
why I get paid, 'cause I don't.
Back to the quotes-
	It was a close fight, and in the end, like the 2002 Winter Olympic Pairs
Figure Skating in Salt Lake City, I had to give the Canadians their place
on the podium alongside the Russians, shun a judge and reinvent the whole
system, thus paving the way to Sasha Cohen’s silver medal and my fav’s
bronze medal finish four years later. Only off the ice. See, it was a
tie, and in the end, we all win. Only right now, the winners appear to be
Jean and Sam with their respective quotes as cut and pasted here:

"I can't help you right now; I have to put on my gay
persona." –Jean before a GSA meeting
"Slightly less tempting." -Sam Freeman, hearing Commonwealth
students sing the Temptations

Now, for this week nominees:

"Yes, my back is a labrynth of muscular paradoxes." Evan, being questioned
about the bone-like knots in her back.

"This is Mt. St. Helen's... as a function of x and y." Chris Hardin, Smith
Math Professor

"Can we name the zombie Llewellyn?" Alex George

“True duct tape is considerably more durable, silvery aluminum, and needs
something sharp to cut it with.” Owen Thomas, explaining a bit about duct
tape vs duck tape, potentially a non-issue.

“She used to say ‘be simple. Don’t drop me off by going into the building.
Leave me at the corner’’”
 “Did she last?” (random student)
“The corner, yes.”
Mr. Riahi, reminiscing about a girl he once knew.

“It’s because we’re so awesome.” Sam Freeman, explaining how politicians
justified the US invasion of the Philippines once upon a time

“I WAS YELLING ABOUT THE SANDWICHES FOR MORE THAN NINETEEN WEEKS!”
Eggagog, mysterious weblogger

“Now you can cry” Mr. Sherry explaining when it is appropriate to cry in
Calculus. The answer-> when you are looking at S sec^3 x tanx dx

“That bunny died for your sins. You better eat the whole thing.” Edward
Oberholtzer, demanding a certain standard of rabbit eating

“So apart from world peace and a bunker, what else would you like? How
about a nice sundress? Or an accordion. We could get you an accordion. The
local polka band just broke up over ‘artistic differences’.” Cybil
Bomberger, suggesting birthday gifts

So. Vote. Submit. And volunteer to be quoter. I love running it from time
to time, but I like to be a shock of clear, bright, mental anguish and
confusion to you all, and I live in fear that you will grow accustomed to
my visions.  Also sign up for honorable mentions
<honorablementions at qotw.net >.
And kudos to Owen for his thing about duct tape. Yup. Duck or Duct. It's
all good.
And submit. All the cool kids are doing it.

-Jenny “Olga the Owl is my homegirl” Oberholtzer