[QOTW] Quote of the Week, September 11

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Sep 11 09:24:21 EDT 2005

Dear QOTW,
     I know I had a lot of fun this summer, writing emails for you and
searching for quotes. Now that school has started up again I
understand that things have to change. I've got less time for you, and you
want to start seeing other quoters. I'll still see you Sundays, and you
know if you ever have a problem (maybe a quoter who doesn't know how to
tally the votes)you can count on me. Until then, some wise words for you
to dwell on: "[In the books I read at your age] as far as I could tell,
sex hadn't even been invented. It was left to my generation to do so so
you could reap the benefits. Please make sure to thank us." -Ben Lieber,
Amherst Dean of Students

(And some other words, of lesser or greater value:)

"Wesleyan is a completely egalitarian society, but it's just a fact that
boys don't tend to fall in the toilet as a result of a girl leaving the
seat down." -Gabi, Wesleyan RA, on multi-gender bathroom etiquette

"They're almost like snowflakes.  There's no death scene in here that's
quite the same as another." -Alexander Beecroft, Yale literature
professor, on death scenes in the Iliad

"In college, I had great epic nightmares. Like, I went to Hell, and the
devil was there, and he was a huge snake...it was really cool.  But now, I
dream about having an extra sock." -Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy, Angel,
and Firefly, describing how creating scary shows/movies has taken away his
ability to have exciting dreams (as quoted by Liz).

"Sex and inner peace are not mutually exclusive. In fact, one is
contingent on the other. And not the one you think." -Michael Harris, Yale
'09

"It may feel wrong, but it's just so right." -Mr. Conolly, on pouring
drinks on the sink counter

"I'm sorry, I just get kinda caught up when I'm dealing with cookies."
-Harry Alper (cookie day czar), having forgotten a conversation

"Did he write the Hardy Boys novels?" -Meg Oliverio in English class,
assigned a poem by Thomas Hardy

"We are NOT trying that again." -Jenny, asked how many upperclassmen could
fit on the Commonwealth lobby couch

"You've been to Peru? Class over, I'm talking to Conor." -Monica (Spanish
teacher)on the first day

"There comes a point as a ceramics teacher when you just get tired of pot
jokes." -Jean

So remember to vote by 5 PM Fridays, to submit quotes, and to sign up for
honorable mentions*. That's not so much now, is it?

-Greta "I know I originally adressed the letter to QOTW itself but now I'm
talking to you. Seriously." Friar

* honorablementions-subscribe at qotw.net