[QOTW] Quote of the Week, May 23 2005

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Mon May 23 09:34:16 EDT 2005

Hey, loyal QOTWers!

On his ballot for last week's hotly contested vote, the venerable Max
Cohen asks, "Have I, a man who can now list 'some college' rather than
'high school degree' on applications when asked about my education status,
grown too mature for Quote of the Week?" The answer, for those of you
keeping score back home, is no. QOTW is an institution; you don't just
grow out of it and discard it like a pair of cheap pants. Yet as I vacate
the office of Quoter for the last time, I feel a poignant twinge of
regret. Sort of above the right shoulderblade, actually. That's not very
poignant at all; maybe it's more of a muscle spasm.

Last week's winner was Mr. Conolly, who said, "There are two things that
I'm proud of. One is that I'm able to drive from Long Island to New York
City in 40 minutes. The other is that I was the first winner of Killer."
QOTW management congratulates Mr. Conolly on his stellar quote, but notes
with dismay that voter turnout continues to be pathetic. Not even our very
own Mr. Orlin saw fit to vote this week. Scandalous. Voting instructions
are at http://www.qotw.net/~qotw/howtovote.html.

And the nominees are:

"Soon there will be a revolution, and the babies will be few and far
between." - Mr. Whelan, on attaching a vacant baby seat to the back of his
bicycle

"I like my men like I like my coffee: strong and black. Oh, wait..." -
Hilary Johnson, who is dating Ben Orlin

"This is why I could never be a behavioral scientist: my hate for the
animals would override my love for science." - Alex

"I thought Gandhi was Bambi's long-lost friend from that cartoon. But now
I think he might be some famous guy." - Linnea Russell, Cameron's little
sister

"It's pretty crowded, but then you look up and there's all these people
who don't smell and aren't wearing tourist clothes." - Roz's mom, on the
Sistine Chapel

"Pneumonia is the new look." - Dewey, walking into the pouring rain
wearing flip-flops and a trash bag

"Lucky Charms is the Irish equivalent of blaxploitation." - Sam Davis

"You're going to make a great old person -- you'll be the life of the
senior center." - Meg Senuta, Josh Haselkorn's mom, on learning that her
son signed up to play Mahjongg and Whist at Hancock

"My hope for my heart lies in Haverford." - Lily, waxing poetic on the
prospect of attending women's college Bryn Mawr

"When there's a leak on the USS Friendship, you can always patch it up
with stories!" - Roz

That's all, folks.

- Becca "illustrious, incomparable, tutu-clad" Thal