[QOTW] Quote of the Week, December 18

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Dec 18 16:16:57 EST 2005

Dear QOTWers,

I apologize that due to technical difficulties (solved calmly by Reilly
Grant in response to my haphazard, frantic messages) QOTW is coming out a
bit late today. My assumption that, it being winter break, most of you
aren't up anyway gives me hope that I have let fewer of you down. None the
less, I'm sending out an extra long honorable mentions to say I'm sorry
(wish you got HMs? Well, with hardly any effort you can. Email
honorablementions at qotw.net). In other news, in the easiest victory I've
seen in my time at QOTW, Alex George swept up last week's votes with the
following quote: 'It's a red shirt, which as a Trekkie I'm slightly afraid
of wearing. If I wind up dyng at the beginning of the episode to establish
the threat, know that my last thoughts were of you.' -Alex George, to
Joanna Rifkin (In Star Trek, an unfamiliar red-shirted ensign often
appears only long enough to die and establish the threat.) In the words of
Lily Holland: "Romantic trekkies, so cute!"

And now for our nominees, nine chosen by yours truly and one inserted by
popular demand*:

"I'm a mix between a sushi chef and the Karate Kid" -Will, wearing a
bandana as a headband

"Aha! Power of the brain over the beast."-Mr. Riahi, gloating over the
textbook after solving a problem correctly in class

"Amorphous, well-hydrated, made in the USA, maple-glazed, and exponential"
-Evan McGonagill, asked by Dartmouth to describe herself with five
adjectives

"He went off on a tangent."-Ms. Paul, in Physics, on the man who fell off
of the Six Flags rollercoaster

"They built a lot of things like the public schools: asylums,
jails..."-Abby on 19th century institutions "like public schools"

"You see? I knew you made some sort of strategical error."-Mr. Sherry, on
labeling a line segment in a failed solution "C" versus "Y"

"Latin students, esteemed lovers of Latin...Latin lovers."-Ms. Grant,
introducing her class

"It's an altar; worship at this cubby and get an A in English."-Larry,
seeing lights strung around a cubby and over Ms. Bluestein's door

"I think you're the only boy I know who could say that without making me
laugh."-Kate to Max, after his hair froze

"Sex." -Mr. Wharton, singing in Latin *(it's this one)

So that's all for this week. Remember to vote by 5 PM on Friday: it's your
right-no,your duty-as a citizen of this democracy.

-Greta "no wonder it's freezing" Friar