[QOTW] Quote of the Week, 14 August 2005

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Aug 14 09:11:47 EDT 2005

You know when you can't decide whether the plural form of 'phoenix' is
'phoenixes' or 'phoenices'?* Trying to figure out an new and inventively
descriptive name to call you people is kind of like that.

So. Yes. Hullo, you lot.

First things first: being house-bound is never fun. Being house-bound
during the summer holiday is even less fun. But being house-bound during
the summer holiday while one is Quoter? Tends to lead to a rather weak
week, especially with the dearth of submissions as what's been happening
of late. But I hope that I'm justified in saying that hey! huzzah for the
eleventh hour! Literally, in this case. Several of the quotes from this
week's edition of QotW come from a very late-Saturday-night
margarita-fueled conversation. No worries--I wasn't the one drinking.
(Margaritas taste funny, anyway.)

Oh, and hey, before you lock me up until I'm legal, Emily One-or-the-other
won last week's votage session with her quote of, 'I spy
something...blue,' said while on a boat in the middle of the ocean.
Congratulations to Emily Whichever-one-you-are! (Which one are you,
anyway?)

And now, our nominees.

'Numair is a sex pot, much like Sky, except taller and more male.' --
Andrea's friend Jill (Sky is a girl.)

'Sudden inexplicable darkness, one thousand feet.' -- Ms Grant, reading a
roadsign partially covered by black plastic

'Of course it's the better pizza place. It's cheaper. It tastes better.
And the woman there smiles at me.' -- Ed, on why Joe's Main Street Pizza
is better than Dominoes

'But I probably wasn't in the mood to write with lilac ink and call
everyone "dear child" like I am now.' -- Sarah Gulick, about _The
Importance of Being Earnest_

'Trust you to know the only guy in a skirt in Harvard Square.' -- Devon,
to Sarah Gulick

'So when you put it on, it knows your body skin? Like, the skin of your
body?' -- a little girl

'How to withstand poison kisses. Step One: Avoid seduction and direct skin
contact.' -- _The Batman Handbook_, by Scott Beatty

'I got off of work early, and came home and started the meth test, and
still am not done.' -- Alex George

'She was old! She was like seventy-five years old! ...Whoops.' -- Andrea's
Aunt Joy, describing one of her high school teachers to Andrea’s
grandmother

'He's big, he's brash, and he's brazen...HE'S AUSTRALIAN!' -- back cover
of a Mills & Boon novel at the library

The polls close at 5 P.M. this Friday. Vote, my darlings, vote! (Oh, you
few, you dubiously happy few...) Don't force me to invent that scone-bomb.
Also, submit quotes, because I really hate to bring out the margarita mix
when I don't have to. And if you haven't signed up for honourable mentions
yet, why the heck not? E-mail thee to honorablementions-subscribe at qotw.net
this instant and receive an extra parcel of quotes each week that are as
dubiously happy as you are.

To the Batcave!

--Andrea 'a truth univerally acknowledged' Lam

*Or maybe that's just me. Huh.