[QOTW] Quote of the Week Speptember 19th, 2004

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Sep 19 10:06:02 EDT 2004

Greetings, fine members of QOTW!

Last week's winner was Aaron Littman, with his quote “The other day I went
driving for the first time. I pretended I was parking between two
imaginary sports cars—and let me tell you, I did a lot of virtual damage.”
Congratulations Aaron on being the first victor in QOTW’s fourth season.
As for the prestigious Quote of the Summer award, Roswell Thomas won an
overwhelming victory with his quote “ ‘Why I want to go to Harvard: Or,
the Last Place the Feds Will Think to Look For Me.’ If I write it the
right way, you get a vague, almost subconscious impression that you’ll be
putting your and your children’s lives at risk by not accepting me.”
	Everyone, please make sure you vote. As Mr. Wharton explained last week,
democracy does not work unless people participate. Voting is quick and
easy, and instruction for how to vote can be found online at
http://www.qotw.net/~qotw/howtovote.html. Also, if you have heard someone
say something funny, then please submit it using the web form found at
http://www.qotw.net. Finally, anyone interested in helping out with QOTW
by being an official quoter should email qotw at qotw.net. We’d love to hear
from you, especially if you are a sophomore or junior.
	And now, as I have already rambled far too long, the quotes!

“Black! No wait, hero! No wait, immigrant! No wait, HERO!” – Anne, on the
idea of a presidential election between Barack Obama and Rudolph Giuliani.

"Contrary to popular belief, you are entitled to your own opinion in this
class - just not your own facts."- Rabbi Morgan, Hebrew school teacher

“Please move in to the car people. There is plenty of room if you push and
shove.”- MBTA conductor

“Oh Commonwealth, Your callous disregard for my sanity pains me so.”-
Norris Wong

“I’m a classicist, so I’m not good at anything, and what do you do then?
You do philosophy!”- Mr. Wharton, explaining to his seniors why he decided
to teach the course “Readings in Ethics.”

“One of my closest communist friends
 oh what am I saying? One of my
closest Commonwealth friends
”- Mr. Merrill, founder of the Commonwealth
School. Commonwealth students are known as “commies”.

“No man with hair like that should be trusted with executive office.”-
Wesley Morgan, referring to John Edwards

“They kept asking about ‘quadahs’. I had to explain to them that it was
quarters, and that the English language actually does have ‘R’ sounds.”-
Ben Orlin, on trying to teach native Spanish Speakers who had recently
moved to Boston English.

“I don't get anti-Semitism. Who doesn't like a kosher pickle?”- Jenny
Oberholtzer

“Japan: sex, suicide, sake, and samurai!”- Julian K. Hyde, on the major
topics in the course “History of Japan.”

Remember, voting ends at 5 pm this Friday. Also, if you have not yet
already, sign up for the honorable mentions list, and get all the things
that are still funny but just will not fit into the regular email. Just
send an email to qotw at qotw.net asking to be added to the honorable
mentions mailing list. It is worth the minimal effort.

- Alex “Billy the Kid” George