[QOTW] Quote of the Year Awards

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Jun 20 11:01:40 EDT 2004

Quote of the Week Members:

This email concludes QOTW's spectacular third season, which ranks
honorably alongside the third seasons of such enterprises as Friends and
Star Trek: The Next Generation.  Without ado, I bring you the Quotee
Awards:

MOST NOMINATIONS: Mr. Young, with 17 (tying the record previously held by
Roswell Thomas)

MOST VICTORIES: Julian Hyde, Becca Thal, and Roswell Thomas, with 3 each
(tying the record previously held by Joanna Rifkin and Julian)

WILLIAM JENNINGS BRYAN AWARD (given to the person with the most
nominations and no victories): Mr. Davis, with 12 nominations and 0 victories

ONE-HIT WONDER AWARD (given to the person whose glory is based entirely on
a single quote): Lydia Rivera-Abrams

CLOSING LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN AWARD (given to the person who ends the year
with an unrivalled streak of excellent quotes): Becca Thal, with 3 winning
quotes and 2 Quote of the Year nominees in the final 9 weeks

MOST QUOTEABLE PEOPLE OF THE YEAR (a complete list, your ranking, and/or
an explanation of the points system available upon request)
9.  Mr. Sherry (61 points)
9.  Alex George (61 points)
8.  Joanna Rifkin (67 points)
6.  Ben Orlin (80 points)
6.  Mr. Davis (80 points)
5.  Mr. Phillips (104 points)
4.  Becca Thal (122 points)
3.  Roswell Thomas (132 points)
2.  Julian Hyde (169 points)
1.  Mr. Young (177 points)

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for...

THE QUOTE OF THE YEAR: "I am thankful for the opportunity to express my
individuality with one 500-word essay and a plethora of standardized
tests." -Erin McCabe, for the Thanksgiving Assembly

That's a wrap, guys.  Thanks to all of you for QOTW's wild success this
year.  I'd especially like to thank the following people:
-The voters in the Quote of the Year finals, who cast a record-smashing 31
ballots (32, if you count Becca's tardy but goodhearted vote)
-Harry Alper, Hilary Johnson, and Roswell Thomas, for attending the QOTW
AIM Award Ceremony
-Alex George, for his fearless and brilliant introduction of QOTW
merchandise, including (for a brief but glorious time) the unforgettable
QOTW thong
-Reilly Grant, for nobly hosting the QOTW web site and email account,
which he generously offers to us free of charge, and for tolerating my
computer-illiterate whining
-Micheline Heal, for having the naivete to think QOTW deserved a web site,
and then having the genius to create a superb one

and, most of all,

-All the Quoters, without whom QOTW would have collapsed into ruin this
year.  Specifically: Alex George, Reilly Grant, Micheline Heal, Ben
Miller, Julian Hyde, Roz Thomas, Jeff Kaufman, Joanna Rifkin, Dewey Cyr,
Becca Thal, Andrea Lam, Daniel Carlyon, Irene Kaplow, Liz Weisman, Matt
Kraning, and Nora Rojas.

QOTW will return to normalcy next week.

-Ben "tectonic disturbance" Orlin