[QOTW] Quote of the Week Business

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Thu Jun 17 18:45:37 EDT 2004

Hello:

You're still not voting.

I bet you thought I wouldn't notice.  When we say, "Hey, everybody vote!"
do you somehow imagine that we mean everybody but you?

For your convenience, I will list the top ten reasons why you should vote
for the Quote of the Week Championship:

10.  If you don't vote, a bad quote will win.
9.   If you don't vote, you forfeit all right to complain about how bad
the winner is.
8.   Hamlet never voted either, and look what happened to him.
7.   If you vote, I'll be forever in your debt.  (If I already am forever
in your debt, I promise I'll pay you back real soon.)
6.   Voting is a widely known aphrodisiac.
5.   You don't want to hurt the nominees' feelings, do you?
4.   QOTW is the application of democracy.  If you don't vote then you're
giving up on democracy.  If you give up on democracy, then nobody will
ever make you Secretary of Labor.
3.   Oh c'mon, you know you want to be Secretary of Labor.
2.   If you vote, you actually get to help decide which quote wins the
QOTW Championship as the best quote of the year.
1.   Aphrodisiac--n.  Something arousing or intensifying sexual desire.
Think it over.

Thank you for your time.  I will extend the voting time period two extra
hours; it will now end at 7:00 pm tomorrow, Friday June 18th.  At 9:00
there will be an official announcement of the QOTW Award Winners in a
chatroom on AOL Instant Messenger; to get in, IM the user QuoterOfTheWeek
sometime between 8:30 and 9:00.

-Ben "QOTW will return to normally scheduled quotes next week" Orlin

P.S. Thanks to those of you who have already voted; you guys are the best.

P.P.S. Here are the nominees one last time, for those of you who have
already lost the other email.  To vote, just list as many as you wish in
order of favorite to least favorite.

"I want it to be unclear whether I intend to liberate Josh or eliminate
his cost." -Julian Hyde, on his "Free Josh" sign

"This yogurt was so good, if I were a smoker, I'd need a cigarette."
-Johan Jaenisch

"We could be Hell's Mermaids." -Roswell Thomas, proposing a name for a
Commonwealth biker-gang

"I am thankful for the opportunity to express my individuality with one
500-word essay and a plethora of standardized tests." -Anonymous
Commonwealth Student, for the Thanksgiving Assembly

"You know how it says 'Congress(TM)' nowadays?  That's because Congress is
a licensed subsidiary of Disney Corporation." -Julian Hyde

"I say, any school that won't take my baby should be firebombed.  Harvard?
 Pow!  Yale?  Pow!  Then nobody will have a degree that competes with my
baby's." -Becca Thal's mom

"You poser.  You're like the N*SYNC of slacking off.  Completely
commercial.  Doing it for looks.  Sure, all the teen girls idolize you.
But you're not living it." -Roswell Thomas, arguing that there's more to
procrastination than meets the eye

"Sex ed teachers always acted as if we were about to go out and have hot
passionate sex with every third person we met, and for Christ's sake could
we at least remember to bring along the condoms?  But in reality, we've
just ended up a generation of sexually incompetent people who are really
good at putting condoms on bananas." -Becca Thal

"I would suggest that after months and years of pointing to the obvious--
signaling to the elephant in the middle of the living room--and turning
over backwards to keep a constructive ethical tone while observing others
who use guerilla warfare to score, one feels the need to stand in the
middle of the road and loudly state that the proverbial king has no
clothes on!" -Lydia Rivera-Abrams, in an editorial in the Winchester Star

"I forgot Mother's Day, so I made repentant French toast.  It tasted of
guilt." -Becca Thal