[QOTW] Quote of the Week, August 8

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Aug 8 12:59:09 EDT 2004

Voters:

Last week's dramatic come-from-behind winner was "I'm always more careful
in West Cambridge; all the pedestrians have lawyers." -Christian,
truck-driver.

Apologies that this email comes a couple hours late. I slept in. And then
"Disney's The Kid", greatest movie ever, was on television. It's a summer
Sunday, anyway; I'm sure none of you will be awake until at least 9:00 or
10:00 tomorrow evening.

To vote, list the nominated people (not their quotes) in order from
favorite to least favorite. List as many or as few as you wish. Be sure to
distinguish between quotes from the same person (i.e., Roz) with
parenthetical statements like "Roz (minivans)" and "Roz (college)".

This week's quotes:

"It'd be less pathetic if my parents were like... hobos or something. Then
I could be Mr. Pulled-Himself-Up-By-His-Bootstraps. God damn my affluent
background!" -Roswell Thomas, on applying to college

"Poor Garfunkel had trouble with the high notes, though. In 'Bridge Over
Troubled Water' they had to do an old man's key change for him. It was
kind of cute. It reminded us that no matter how ungodly high his voice
used to be, he was still human." -Micheline, on seeing Simon & Garfunkel
in concert

"I was worried that would mean our school would no longer be a whopping
140 people, but rather a measly 100." -Johan Jaenisch, on the prospect of
having an incoming freshman class of only 19 students

"We rented a minivan. A Chevy Venture. The most generic minivan ever! It's
creepy. Theoretically, it's a 2005 model, but it looks exactly like every
minivan I saw. We blended right into the Midwest SEAMLESSLY." -Roswell
Thomas, on his family driving to Chicago

"I mean they're all, 'We're going to figure out how to get bone to
regenerate,' but hello, it already does that." -Nora, arguing that the
scientists at the bio lab where she's interning are really working on
human cloning

"When I told my parents I had become a LEEK editor, my mom was more
excited about the leek than the editing. Actually, my mom put the leek in
a flower pot to make it grow. Then my dad put it in my dinner afterwards."
-Norris Wong, on receiving a vegetable leek as a symbol of his being
appointed editor of the LEEK, school humor magazine

"I thought we were being pretty quiet until like 2 a.m. Then, I do admit,
we made some humorous snoring sounds and began to jump on the beds."
-Roswell Thomas, on being yelled at by the hotel desk clerk for being too
noisy

"You'll give them aneurysms of grief." -Lydia, vetoing a sad idea

"Joanna, you can't be epitome of American manhood AND a dominatrix."
-Celeste Monke, to Joanna Rifkin

Voting closes at 5:00 on Friday evening. Be sure to sign up for the
super-cool Honorable Mentions list by sending an email to
honorablementions-subscribe at qotw.net.

-Quote of "the" Week