[QOTW] Quote of the Week, December 20

QOTW qotw at qotw.net
Tue Dec 20 13:29:23 EST 2011

Alas, Tahmid's earlier proclamation that we've dawned a new era of
on-time emails has quickly been disproven. At least you'll have this one
in time for the holidays, when I'm sure you'll be collecting and
submitting enough quotations to make my and Tahmid's choices rather
difficult. Speaking of which, we received a whopping 52 submissions this
week!

But before this week, the winner from last week, according to
only one vote, was Lexie! She said "You want my number?? 617...BAM
winning is my number," when advising those of the fairer sex on how to
beat boys at arm wrestling. In second place was Mr. Wharton's Fruedian
slip about demons. Uh, I mean, about republicans.

Here are a subjective
top ten submissions from this week (many more shall appear in the
honorable mentions email I'll send after frantically folding neon yellow
sweaters at work later tonight; to subscribe, you can write to this
being: honorablementions-subscribe at qotw.net):

"Do you want vegetables?
Potatoes? How about some fries? We've got to make sure you're eating
right; you're either going to be saving the world or blowing it
up."
-MIT cafe server to student trying to buy lunch

"Did you know that
they have Dr. King legos?"
-Ms. Haber, meaning Doctor Who

"I mean, we
have a wreath and a tree, and some people down the street have lights
and stuff, and my neighbors have a Rabbi."
-Megan Berry, on Christmas
decorations

"You really want me to convince this knife that toilet
paper is sexy? That's really what you want me to do?"
- Astrid
Oberbrunner

"Excuse me, but have YOU ever tried opening Microsoft Word
on a gerbil? It's rather difficult."
-Nayab, in a completley
inexplicable conversation.

"...and Mr. Davis [is a judge for the
Shakespeare Competition], so there will be excellent eyebrows
involved."
-Brenna

"Mark, I don't believe in talking about people
behind their backs, so just to let you know I just called you an
Asshole"
"It's ok Mr. Wharton, I trust your judgement."
-Mr. Wharton and
Mark, on mutual respect

"I always walk past people who insinuate I'm a
bad person if I walk past them. I'm just like, 'I *am* a bad
person!'"
-Ms. Kane

"Yes, but you can wiggle your eyebrows
suggestively, whereas the owl cannot. Do not despair."
-Nayab, consoling
someone about a talented owl.

"If you feel like bringing me back Rowan
Atkinson, that'd be nice too!"
"Oh, no, because my wife has a huge crush
on him so we can't get anywhere near him."
-Eva and Mr. Connoly,
discussing Mr. Connoly's imminent trip to London

(Some of them were
spam, about pregnancy and techno remixes at that. How disappointing.)

Keep up the voting by writing to this address:
http://www.qotw.net/voting.php. Also feel free to send Tahmid and I
messages along with your rankings -- I've spotted a couple of these
already, and they are really cute.

Have a lovely holiday season, and
don't get too bogged down by the capitalism of it all!

Sophie
"determined to continue saying quotation for the noun form instead of
this slangish 'quote'" Bucci