[QOTW] Quote of the Week, October 3rd

QOTW qotw at qotw.net
Sun Oct 3 22:26:42 EDT 2010

Hello again, QOTW subscribers! I hope you've had a lovely summer, and I'm
sorry this is coming to you half a day late.
(I realize this isn't the
first email you've gotten from us this year, but it is the first I've
sent.)

Anyway, it seems we've all fallen right back into our old, familiar
school-year habits, including the most unhelpful of them all: people really
aren't submitting.
Do better this week and next week's email will be
funnier!
To submit:
1. Go to http://www.qotw.net/submit.php
2. Type your
little gem of overheard witticism into the big white box.
3. If you wish us
to know from whom the submission comes, type your email address into the
little white box.
4. Click the "Submit" button.
Not so hard, really, once
you think about it...

Anyway, last week's winner, as determined by _your_
votes (well, the votes of those of you who actually voted, but we'll get
back to that later) is Ms. Haber, with:

"The Huns invading Europe was not
like that song, 'There were 5 in the bed and the little one said, roll
over, roll over, and they all rolled over and the Visigoths ended up in
North Africa.' "

Indeed it was not.

Anyway, here's this week's batch of-
well, I won't say "hilarity," but you get the idea.

"I'm going from being
the good-cop new teacher to being a bad guy like Mr. Sherry."
- Mr.
Limperis

"No, I lost my planetary sweater in India. One moment I was
riding a mule, and the next, the sweater was gone."
- Gautam

"I mean...
they're not the same."
- Mark S., answering Ms. Bluestein's question as to
the difference between a narrator and a poetic speaker

"Oh, you people,
are your souls not better than those at BUA?"
- Ms. Haber, explaining The
Great Awakening

"But we still have one HUGE problem... Matt is still in
Andover!"
- Ms. Bardsley, emphasizing the gravity of the fact that a
murderous, land-hungry Matt (in a US History role-playing scene), was still
in town

"You don't know who Betty Grable was? She was this long-legged...
delicious... black-and-white movie star."
- Mr. Davis, imparting his
mystifying wisdom to some ignorant young Disquieting Fiction
students

"They died!"
- Oscar L., answering the question "What happened to
the compost buckets?"

Now you vote!
No, really. You reply to this email
listing your top x choices where x is a member of [1, however many choices
there are this week].
It's easy. Go to http://www.qotw.net/voting.php for
more thorough instructions. Follow them. They are your friends, and will
lead you to good things.

A last note: if you aren't already subscribed to
Honorable Mentions, you can do so by sending an email to
Honorablementions_subscribe at qotw.net .
The Honorable Mentions list
occasionally receives a collection of all the things that don't make it
into the regular email for whatever reason.

And, of course, one last plea:
please, please do submit? This thing only really works when you all pitch
in. We can't find a week's worth of material by ourselves.
That's about it,
I think.
Enjoy!
- Asa "loves this sort of weather" Goodwillie