[QOTW] Quote of the Week, February 12th

qotw at qotw.net qotw at qotw.net
Sun Feb 7 03:27:32 EST 2010

It's true! Quote of the Week is back from a dangerously long absence of
nearly four months. Barring some unforeseen problem, it should be
returning to its former weekly schedule as of this email.

The winning quote from that long-gone week back in mid-October was spoken
by Mr. Davis, who said, in explaining to me one of those odd little
"chapters" that are stuck in between some of the stories in the Hemingway
collection: "Well, let's say you I and were standing side by side,
talking, and you had some sort of alpine pick ax. You know, with a sort of
pointy bit on one side...? And as you began to speak, you leaned the tip
on my foot, and as you continued you leaned harder and harder until my
foot was impaled on this ax! Well, there are two things I could do at this
point: I could slap you and say "ah, son of a bitch!", or I could smile
oddly at you and nod until you began to realize that something was wrong."
Only Mr. Davis, I think, could have managed to to make this sort of
bizarre hypothetical actually relevant.

Now for this week's quotes:

"Jabber is like a psychoactive drug: it's a little weird for everyone the
first time."
-Mario Alvarez

"I will now call upon the member of the opposition to deliver a speech not
exceeding eight minutes, and hopefully exceeding four minutes. Seriously,
Shaul."
-Danny Moraff

"Friday's City of Boston Class, Ezra's not here, he's at Mohegan Sun..."
-Ms. Haber

"If we're going to have something to supercool aluminum with, we're going
to do more than blow up potatoes."
- James Townsend

"It was all about entertaining themselves, because they didn't have Wii
and TiVo."
-Ms. Grant on Courtly Love

"You'll just have to contain your violent attraction to my body."
-Mr. Davis, responding to Kai Faris' threat: "give us our midyears now or
I'll hug you"

"Do you really want to be carrying around big bags of gold and silver
while traveling through pirate-soaked waters?"
-Ms. Grant, eloquently detailing the impracticality of using heavy coinage
for Mediterranean trade

"Welcome back, Ms. Bardsley! If anyone sees her with dark circles under
her eyes and wonders why, just ask Mr. Conolly."
-Mr. Wharton

"Yes, the upperclassmen feel that when they are reading Catullus, they are
reading pornography."
-Mr. Conolly, in response to some Latin I student's query

"So you see, Martial Arts gives you endorphins.  And that makes you happy.
 And happy people are better consumers, yeah?  So that's why having AP
Martial Arts instead of AP English will fix the economy!"
-Sophie, in a debate

Now we come to your bit- fulfill your democratic duty as a loyal reader of
QOTW and vote! To do so, reply to this email (or send one of your own to
qotw at qotw.net) ranking any number of the ten quotes listed above. For more
information on voting, check out the "Voting" section on the QOTW website:
http://www.qotw.net/voting.php. Voting ends 5:00 PM on Friday, February
12th.

The most important thing you can do to help Quote of the Week, however, is
to submit. Without plenty of reader submissions, the pickings are woefully
slim when the time comes for the Quoter to select The Ten for this email.
Keep your ears open for comedic material, and submit using the handy
submission tool, also located at the QOTW website
(http://www.qotw.net/submit.php), or by the same email method used for
voting.

Lastly, if you haven't already done so. you should consider subscribing to
the Honorable Mentions email, a somewhat sporadic email containing all the
quotes that weren't quite funny enough to make it into the weekly emails.
To subscribe to Honorable Mentions, send an email to
honorablementions-subscribe at qotw.net or go to
http://www.qotw.net/subscribe.php.

That's about it, I think- remember to vote and submit, or I'll, uh, come
and bother you about it. or something.

-Asa "what do you call a famous chemist's Spanish-speaking fruit
attorney?" Goodwillie