[QOTW] QOTW for the Week of February 22, 2009

QOTW qotw at qotw.net
Sat Feb 28 12:56:23 EST 2009

Cheerio!
Believe it or not, this is the 15th QOTW from the end of the year.
This will be followed by only fourteen more. A little sad, innit?
Either way, we've got some lovely quotes this week, and a winner from
last week. Trying to put his students back on track, Mr. Davis
encouraged one to read by saying, "Turn your head down and look at
those funny things on the page that look like ants, except they're not
moving." I thought it was pretty funny. Awesomely enough, as great as
last week's quotes were, I'm confident that this week is even better.
I had a hard time weeding out some of them. Here you are!

"People who smoke two cigars kind of look like walruses on fire."
-Gautam Mohan

"I think the only *man*ometer you need is a tape measure."
-Gabe Murchison, on the mispronunciation of manometer

"In Act 1, a child falls off a tricycle. In Act 2, a child falls off a
tricycle. In Act 3, a child falls off a tricycle. In Act 4, a
tricycle, all by itself, comes in, and you learn that off-stage, a
child has just fallen off. In Act 5, a tricycle rolls in, dripping
with blood, extracted from the guts of a whale off of the coast.
That's... that's a motif."
-Mr. Davis, on "motif"

"So wait, the point of your story is that your grandfather hung out
with some Nazis?"
-Jessica Francois

"I think that teenagerhood is the worst part of life. Apart from death."
-The ever-so-uplifting Larry Geffin

"I've got some aluminum in the oven, which I massed earlier... I feel
like Julia Child."
-Ms. Jackman

"I think it's hydrobromic acid that gives the coffee here its color."
-Eli Kohlenberg

"The road to hell is paved with good parents."
-Mr. Sherry and Ms. Dale, coming up with an adage

"You know, you look strangely like my tutor from Oxford University.
He's dead now."
-Mr. Davis

"Well, I geuss we can go then. That was the objective of today's class."
-Mr. Sherry on "sucking the happiness out of one's day"

Voila! Quotes au jus! Except sans jus. So really I guess they're just
quotes. But you do still have to vote on them, which you can do by
replying to this email with some lovely number of your top choices. No
need to include the whole quote, just who said it, and some way to
separate it from anything else they said (ie. "Mr. Davis: tutor" or
"Mr. Davis: motif"). It's really not that difficult, and everybody who
reads this should vote. The deadline for voting is Friday at 5, and in
the words of Ms. Jackman, " [A deadline is] 'A line drawn in a prison,
which a prisoner crosses at the risk of being shot.'" Submitting is
also awesome, and I need submissions as well, just include any quotes,
who said them, and necessary context in a reply to this email, or use
the website, www.QOTW.net

Right-o!
Dan "Submissive submitters submitting submissions" Fries