[QOTW] Quote of the Week, March 27, 2005

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Mar 27 00:22:40 EST 2005

Voters:

Welcome back to Quote of the Week!  Today is Easter--or, as it is known in
some cultures, "March 27, 2005."  And what has the friendly QOTW bunny
brought you this year?  That's right, a basketful of wit and wisdom!  A
good quote is like a good chocolate egg: it's sophisticated, it's
satisfying, and it's best enjoyed on a sunny Sunday morning.  (Also, it
doesn't come from a chicken.)  This week's batch of quotes comes from all
during March, Commonwealth School's project month, when the seniors
disperse to other pursuits and other continents.  These quotes come from
Britain, Mongolia, France (and be sure to tune in for a special
Pennyslvania-themed Honorable Mentions email; if you're not a member,
subscribe by sending an email to honorablementions-subscribe at qotw.net).
Enjoy the regional diversity, the three weeks' worth of accumulated humor,
and have a happy March 27.

This week's nominees (to vote, follow the instructions at
http://www.qotw.net/~qotw/howtovote.html):

"Darwin's Deli: The Natural Selection." -Deli awning in London

"And this portcullis dates from 1326.  You will notice that I am not
standing directly underneath the portcullis, because the rope holding up
the portcullis also dates from 1326." -George the Yeoman Warder

"I think 'back' is a relative term." -Ben Miller, on going back to school
for the last quarter of senior year

"I'm assuming you mean strapless, not topless.  This is your graduation,
not Hancock!" -Harry Alper, after hearing the description of someone's
graduation dress

"For me, sitting in a dark room with a spreadsheet is a sexual experience.
 To be an accountant, you must first be alone." -A Mongolian accountant

"This coming weekend is the Yale tournament.  If you feel like risking
getting mugged, beaten, and possibly even felt up in a dark New Haven
alley by someone really really preppy, you should go." -Samuel Asarnow of
Swarthmore College, promoting a debate tournament

"I have committed cinema many times." -Michael Kelly, on his
movie-watching habits

"I don't think men belong in hair salons.  Give me gender discrimination
or give me death!" -Becca Thal's mom

"Up here you think about life, death, your prospects, where you are going.
 I am thinking that winter is over, and it is too windy for a parachute
jump today." -Joel, Belgian ex-paratrooper, on a mountain

"If I was French, I'd never pick up my cell phone; I'd just listen to the
ring tone... in bed." -Paul Cavallaro, on the apparently impressive French
ring tones

Voting closes at 5:00 pm on Friday.  Be sure to vote--it's what FDR would
have wanted.  (C'mon, surely you can't say no to a dead president.)

-Ben "the secret society of Ebeneezer Gay" Orlin