[QOTW] A friendly reminder from Quote of the Week

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Wed Jun 29 15:03:23 EDT 2005

QOTW Members:

Remember to vote for Quote of the Year! Just list as many quotes as you
wish, in order from favorite to least favorite, and send us your ballot by
5:00 pm (and NOT 11:59 pm, as previously reported) on Friday, July 1.

In other news, the Quote of the Year Awards Ceremony has been moved to
9:00 pm on Friday, July 1.  Send an instant message to QuoterOfTheWeek to
join the chatroom.

Still not convinced that you should vote?  Listen to these not-at-all
fictional endorsements of voting!

"A vote is like an orgasm of democracy." -Roswell Thomas

"Oh, you're not going to vote, are you?  Well, there are STARVING CHILDREN
in places like Africa and China who don't EVER get to vote.  They would
KILL for the chance to vote.  In fact, if you don't use your vote, they'll
kill you and take it." -Your mom

"There's nothing more invigorating than a brisk vote in the morning." -Buddha

"I never vote." -Adolf Hitler (HINT: you should do the opposite of
whatever Hitler does)

"Voting is a privilege, not a right." -Mr. Wharton

"Before I voted, I weighed 290 pounds and was so depressed I would eat my
own cats!  But now I'm a trim 105, I'm dating Jennifer Lopez, and I'm
obscenely rich!  Thanks to QOTW for helping me become the beautiful person
I am today!" -Nick Pittman

"Quote of the Week needs your vote!  Cast your ballot for the good of
humanity!  Rock on!" -Bono

"Voting is to not voting as rescuing puppies is to stabbing them with
pointy rocks." -The SAT, analogy section

"I pity the fool who doesn't vote!" -Mr. T

"That's what this whole War in Iraq is all about.  Under the dit-catership
of Saddam Hussein, the Iraqi people were oppressed, they had to... by law,
they had to... uh... be oppressed.  But now, thanks to America, they can
vote for the Quote of the Year.  And you can too." -George W. Bush,
Commander in Chief

So please, do vote--I'd consider it a personal favor.  QOTW's a lot more
fun when more people play.

-Ben "irritating 'get out the vote' kid" Orlin

P.S.  Here are the Quote of the Year finalists, listed again for your
convenience:

"Please move into the car, people. There is plenty of room if you push and
shove." -MBTA Conductor

"Single-ply toilet paper in the admissions office: that's how you know
it's a safety school." -Becca Thal's mother

"I have been working on one particular integral for the past two weeks and
I cannot solve it. Well no, I can solve it, but using the gamma
substitution and... it's like you see a fly on the wall and kill it with a
bazooka." -Mr. Riahi

"Commonwealth is like Hogwarts after Harry Potter graduates: just a bunch
of characters that no one cares about." -Julian Hyde

"They're all dead because they missed the ark.  Or because two gay
unicorns boarded the ark.  But that would be blaming the gay community."
-Norris Wong, on the disappearance of unicorns

"Man... sometimes I wonder how Commonwealth collectively deals with the
fact that we all have friends who give advice like, 'You should do it.
Because it would make me laugh.'" -Joanna Rifkin

"It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside--like I just swallowed a
hamster." -Garrison Inge

"What other information is useful for carbon-dating something?  Say you
found my body and you wanted to date it somehow... oh God, that came out
wrong." -Ms. Jackman

"What will happen will be this large class moving through the school, the
way I see it, like a rat moves through a snake." -Mr. Wharton, on the
incoming freshmen class of 44 students

"You know what College Board is? They're trolls under the bridge to success."
-Harry Alper

"I wish I were a snowflake, I wish I were a raindrop, I wish I were a
green leaf, swaying in the wind..." -Mr. Riahi, trying to get Kate Alper's
attention in class

"A graduation speech is like ice cream--a tasteful combination of mush and
not mush." -Liz Weisman