[QOTW] Quote of the Week, July 25

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Jul 25 10:46:12 EDT 2004

Voters:

As noted historian Max Cohen pointed out last week, Jimmy Carter and
Gerald Ford did not run for president in 1968.  They ran in 1976.  QOTW
apologizes for incorrectly reporting this in last week's email.  In
hindsight, it would have been a very peculiar move for Ford to run for
re-election six years before he actually became president.

This week represents a return to the QOTW that you know and love.  Please
exercise your democratic rights, and vote (using the procedures outlined
at www.qotw.net/~qotw/howtovote.html).

And now, the quotes:

"You don't say 'down' to a cat.  You go over and you push the cat down."
-Cameron Currie, age 8, after his friend told a cat to get down off the
table

"I was an equal opportunity toy owner.  I played extra with the ones I
didn't like as much, so that they wouldn't feel badly." -Bess Palmer

"I got sent to Colorado for a survival course.  I learned how to cross
rivers and hike up mountains.  I have not learned to harm nature, but to
live with it as one.  I also learned how to fall in four foot rivers and
be swept like ten feet downstream." -Norris Wong

"I hate it when people say Dominicans are thugs.  It just makes me want to
shoot them--oh God..." -Gabe Espinal, Dominican

"Hi Mom, yeah, I'm fine, I've been having a lot of tests... you know,
blood, urine, stool... and today they gave me a rectal exam with a
whaddya-call-it, toothpick." -Natalie Bau, on being in the hospital. She
meant to say "Q-tip."

"Matsui... isn't that a DVD player?" -Some guy at the Red Sox game, on New
York Yankees outfielder Hideki Matsui

"He's always there when you need the Double-U." -Ben Miller, on Detroit
Tigers closer Ugueth Urbina, whose initials are U.U. A win is referred to
in baseball as a "W".

"I think the Vulcans are like the British, only more so.  And without the
imperialism." -Alex George, on an alien race from Star Trek

"It says, 'fatal error, crashing.' Should I worry about that?" -Ted Carr,
on his computer

"An utter lack of chaise lounges has always been a clear indication that a
mother hates her children." -Gabe Espinal, on middle-class views of the
poor in the 19th century

Sign up for the Honorable Mentions email by sending a message to
honorablementions-subscribe at qotw.net.  Since a computer will automatically
add you to the Honorable Mentions list, you can say whatever you want in
your email without fear of retribution.  For example, you could say, "Mr.
Computer, you are redolent of flatulence", or "She's a brick... HOUSE".
Just suggestions.

-Ben "king of the eyesores" Orlin