[QOTW] QOTW Honorable Mentions, July 3, 2005

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Jul 3 09:26:13 EDT 2005

Loyal Honorable Mentions members:

Here's a little treat for you, the elite of the QOTW membership: an email
featuring quotes about QOTW.  (Most come from the online Quote of the Year
Awards ceremony, conducted Friday evening.)

First, Reilly Grant's stirring, ceremony-beginning speech:

"Ladies, gentlemen, and other things!  I would like to welcome all of you
to the 2005 Quote of the Year Awards.  It has been my great honor to serve
Quote of the Week over the past years, both in voting, and in serving the
webpage.  From its humble beginnings, Quote of the Week showed the promise
to be something greater.  And it's not quite there yet!  But I see in
future generations an era waiting to be born.  And we, the class of 2005,
will sadly depart, but others will take our place.  It is left upon the
shoulders of Greta, a quoter appointed by the great Ben Orlin, who shall
not be called great again in this speech so that he doesn't kill me, that
Quote of the Week rests, and I for one look forward to what the future may
bring.  I look forward to what is to come.  Do we have awards?"

And second, Roswell Thomas' analysis of the Quote of the Year:

"Maybe you could read some significance into it.  Like, happiness is based
on the destruction of small helpless creatures, a geopolitical metaphor
for the United States' position in the world today.  The dark side of
prosperity.  We feel good, but really we've just gobbled up another cute
country.  I think, in that sense, Garrison's quote says something very
relevant, and something that needs to be said in this post-9/11 age.
[intellectual hands gestures]"

And then some more quotes:

"You're the noblest banana I know, Reilly Grant." -Becca Thal

John: "Mich is no-nonsense when it comes to numbers."
Micheline: "No, I am plenty of nonsense.  Ask Mr. Riahi."

"Aw man, I actually SAID that the other day... without realizing it... I
felt scuzzy." -Becca Thal, on the phrase "concise and essential"

"I have both episodes of The Julian Show... a.k.a. when Reilly brought in
a microphone and gave it to Julian." -Reilly Grant

"An award for not receiving an award... somehow that makes so much sense."
-John Oliverio, on Ben Miller's winning the William Jennings Bryan award

"If I had my way I'd take him to college with me and stash him in my
closet." -Micheline Heal, on Norris Wong

"Becca Thal: Second Only to Mr. Wharton." -Becca Thal

"Mr. Wharton: Second Only to Julian Hyde." -Reilly Grant

"Did you hear that I was the bully in kindergarten?  If we had lunch
money, then I would have stolen it." -Micheline Heal

"You know, I didn't think anyone would really find that one funny out of
context.  But I was wrong.  Dead wrong.  No pun intended." -John Oliverio,
on Ms. Jackman's QOTY-nominated quote (which included an accidental
reference to necrophilia)

"My mother had the worst behavior ever on college tours.  She fell asleep
with her mouth open in the Wesleyan information session and started
snoring." -Becca Thal, member of the Most Quoteable Family, on her
mother's quote ("Single-ply toilet paper in the admissions office: that's
how you know it's a safety school"), which finished second to Garrison's
quote in Quote of the Year voting

"Boy, Quote of the Week deifies a lot of people.  It also defiles a lot of
people." -Reilly Grant

An entire transcript of the ceremony will soon be available on www.qotw.net.

-QOTW Management