[QOTW] QOTW Honorable Mentions, September 19, 2004

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Sep 19 10:24:52 EDT 2004

Here are more quotes, for all the people wise enough to sign up for he
honorable mentions email. Enjoy!

“Today, I bought not one, but TWO pairs of comfy, wonderful, expensive
play shoes! I figure, after a summer of explaining where babies come from,
I deserve 'em . . .”- Abbie Cyr

"Joanna, why aren't you at school?" - Joshua Rifkin, telephoning from
Japan at 9:45 pm EST

"I'm gonna force people to say important/funny things [when I'm Quoter], and
I'll climb the QOTW ladder, until I fall from grace and become a janitor
for your
website." -Paul Cavallaro, to Ben Orlin

"Pious monkeys are dangerous, because they can become suicide bombers.
Wouldn't that be funny to hear in the news?  'Monkey blows up in train
station.'
Like, just the thought of a monkey exploding fills me with laughter and
joy." -Paul
Cavallaro

“It was orgasmic”- Dewey Cyr, on last year’s T passes being only $10

 “Snarkium! No! That's not it!”- Jenny Oberholtzer, wrongly naming the
element with the symbol Sn

“I finally realized why Diagon Alley's my favorite part of the Harry Potter
books. It's like Staples, with magic.”- Becky Lis

“Will you be my Kreon?”- Micheline, at Antigone auditions

 “[Salon music] was a pastime. Like water polo. Except not.”- Susan Deselms

“[In French,] there's an imperative for "Let's do something." Let's
assassinate
Bush. Assassinons Bush.”- Madame Folkman

"At first we were thinking 'Essex County Velo: We Put the "sex" in Essex,'
and
then maybe 'ECV: We never leave our buddy's behind.'"- Paul Boudreau. ECV
is a North Shore racing club which, as far as we know,
remains sloganless.

"Only in France can you be impressed into a brass band." -- Helen Palmer
(watching French mimes)

"Note to self: Do not look up 'Butt Taco' on the internet if anyone is
looking
over your shoulder."- Roswell's dad; some bike guys were talking about
wearing a 'butt taco' and
Roswell wanted to know what it was exactly

"You can probably find a diagram or something of the female anatomy online
if you don't know what it looks like." - SexEd coordinator

"I kept getting raped by the other boats. Or, well, I suppose it was more
... surprise sex."- Amber DeBole, on an unsuccessful sailing race

"...Because otherwise the universe will stop working and the Devil Dog will
crush us all."- Ms. Nesson, explaining cosmic order

“I can’t stand any movie where a guy is leaping through the air while
simultaneously firing two .44 magnums, and there seem to be a lot of those
coming out recently.”- Mr. Conolly, on the low quality of movies being
made right now

“John Steinbeck has these passages which are beautiful prose, and then all
of a sudden a baby’s head gets blown off.”- Mr. Conolly

“For 5 minutes at the beginning and end of recess either Donna or I will
be lurking under the stairs, troll-like.”- Roswell Thomas, on the school
store

“And that’s a perfect segway into about civility in school.”- Mr. Wharton,
after an announcement advertising the game “killer” was made

“It looks like Michigan.”- Ben Orlin, Referring to a math problem on the
blackboard

“Capitalism has never been so much fun.”- Julian K. Hyde, referring to the
cartoon show Duck Tales

“If colleges were people, I wouldn’t be friends with most of them.”-
Julian K. Hyde

“Even though Roz will be troll-like, I will be as sexy as ever and
un-troll-like.”- Donna Desilus

“We have a real problem with bathroom etiquette. Boys, you have to clean
up after yourselves.”- Mr. Harsanyi

 “We read the Bhagavad Gita in the spring, which is appropriate because it
is a Hindu text and right then you are about to depart for your Next
life.”- Mr. Wharton, to his senior readings in ethics class

“So I think we’ve definitely beaten set theory to a pulp, even if we’ve
hurt our hand in the process.”- Mr. Sherry

“You are you, a likeable or dislikeable person, whether you get into
Harvard or not damn it!”- Mr. Merrill

“There’s one more passage that I want to look at while we are on the
subject of this stealth narrator.”- Ms. Brewster, to her class on the
novel

 “Orlin is solidity!”- Julian K. Hyde, referring to John Locke’s statement
“That which thus hinders the approach of two bodies, when they are moved
one towards another , I call solidity.”

“Wow. I will never have a political career.”- Becca Thal, referring to her
inability to take a bribe

“Running announcements is a great way to practice public speaking, and to
choose the people you like first.”- Teddy Ansbacher-Hunt, on the new
student-run announcement system

“The beauty of the jobs program is that it has no safeguards; if you don’t
do your job, then the dishes are dirty the next day and we all get sick.”-
Mr. Conolly

“I’m just her as a pawn in Larry’s scheme to get you all to enjoy your
community service.”- Ben Orlin

“Alex, it’s very simple. You were chosen.”- Julian K. Hyde, explaining to
Alex George how he became the chosen one

“You look like a member of the debauched roman nobility, or perhaps a
sleeping fawn.”- Mr. Conolly, to Joanna Rifkin as she slouched in her
chair

-Alex "speptember" George