[QOTW] QOTW Honorable Mentions, July 25

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Jul 25 10:55:12 EDT 2004

Don't forget to vote, guys.  Voting is what makes the world go 'round.
(Think about it: do you have a better explanation for the world rotating?
What else could possibly make a 600 quintillion ton planet spin around at
a sickening speed--what else but the righteous power of democracy in
action?)

But while only one quote can emerge victorious, everyone's a winner at
QOTW.  In this spirit, several (parenthetical) awards are given out in
this email.  Enjoy.

"We have Scottish martial arts... it's mostly headbutting and kicking
drunks." -Peter Inglis

"I wonder how the teachers are doing during the summer.  For some reason I
can't imagine Mr. Riahi or Mr. Davis in bathing suit and at the beach...
an image of Larry Geffin teaching art at an orphanage comes to mind."
-Norris Wong

"Overnight, I've become a chai-drinking vegetarian.  I don't like this at
all..." -Gabe Espinal (WINNER: no context award)

"I had Kirsten, and then Josephina, and I liked Josephina better, 'cause
she was prettier and had better clothes." -Bess Palmer, on American Girl
Dolls

"But any putative logic was undermined by the plurality of empirical
material." -Sociologist John Marriott (WINNER: worst academic writing
award)

"It's like torture--only more European..." -Bryn Tulip, on writing in
German (WINNER: coolest name of the week award)

"When you're pretty you don't need to fight." -Chris King, on rapper LL
Cool J

Katie: "I mounted Dan."
Kate: "I mounted Ben."
Andrew: "For God?s sake, somebody mount me!" (WINNER: bizarre dialogue of
the week award)

In addition, for their quotes featured in the primary QOTW email, we would
like to present Alex George with the "nerdy comparison of the week award",
Some guy at the Red Sox game with the "borderline racist award", and
Cameron Currie with the "cruelty to animals" award.

-QOTW Management