[QOTW] Quote of the Week, Feb. 5th

QOTW qotw at qotw.net
Sat Feb 5 23:40:59 EST 2011

Hello, dear QOTW subscribers.

Apologies for the delays and
cancellations of which we've been guilty over the last few weeks. Just
remember,

it could be worse - at least we're not the commuter rail.

Last time's voting (from an email before exams, I believe) ended in a
tie between these two:

"I know, right? I'll be talking to an Italian
on the phone and when I meet them in person I say 'Whoa, who are

you?
'cause you're definitely that sexy guy I was talking to on the phone
yesterday...' "

- Kailash, riffing in a state of post-exam loopy-ness
on the claim that Italians only sound hot

and

"I suggest you run
around the block once every hour. This will increase your circulation,
including the

circulation to your brain."

- Mr. Davis, asked how
best to prepare for his English 10 midyear

Congratulations to both.

This week's choices:

"Now, let's all take a minute and think about
our mothers break-dancing."
- Astrid

"I didn't mean to say to melt the
pancakes, I meant cheese! Like, melt the butte- no, cheese, then- yeah,

there's got to be a better word than 'pancake' but I don't know it!
...shut up, I was trying to explain tacos."
- Rui (in Chinese), proving
that translation fail goes both ways

"Spring is dating and mating
season."
"I do both."
- Caleb and Anika, who apparently meant to say she
dates during both winter and spring

"Want to see something scary? Those
are four nuclei. The cells are gigantic and we don't know why! We've

created mutants!"
- MIT scientists, looking at their cells

"It doesn't
have the same [makes gesture] that thing... you know what I mean."
-
Eloise

"Good violin is like good caramel."
- Ian H., who has little
patience for either but is sort of okay with the best of each

"So if
you do this [spins halfway around while vibrating his lips] that's
raspberry pi! I should teach that to my son
Dylan. He's just discovered
how to lift up one leg and spin around, and he loves blowing
raspberries... he can
only spin around this much, though, so I guess he
could do raspberry pi-over-two."
- Mr. Sherry, drawn miles off course
into what began as a "why radians are unit-less" tangent

"Tricia's
laying down the foot!"
- Tahmid, getting caught somewhere between
"laying down the law" and "putting her foot down"

"Commonwealth is
basically a group of students united by their mutual hatred and
resentment of being relegated
to the kid's table."
- Talia L.

[Mr.
Davis takes a handkerchief from his pocket and blows his nose.] ("Is
that a handkerchief?") "...no, it's a small
raccoon. Yes, of course
it's a handkerchief!" ("You carry a handkerchief?") "Yes! Back in the
old days, before this
'tissue paper' nonsense, we carried around
handkerchieves, and we blew our noses and put it in our pockets!"
- Mr.
Davis

Vote! Vote by replying to this email with a list of your top
however-many-you'd-like choices. Further instructions
at
http://www.qotw.net/voting.php. More importantly, submit! Shaul and I
can't hear everything funny that goes
on, and we inevitably forget some
of what we hear as well. There's a lovely, simple submission tool at

http://www.qotw.net/submit.php

If you aren't already subscribed to it,
consider signing up for the Honorable Mentions list by sending an email
honorablementions-subscribe at qotw.net. HM emails are sent out
periodically once surplus submissions have built
up
sufficiently.

Enjoy. Vote. Submit.
- Asa "I'm attempting to fix some
formatting problems here; sorry in advance for any bizarre line breaks"
Goodwillie