[QOTW] Quote of the Week, June 5, 2005

Quote of the Week qotw at qotw.net
Sun Jun 5 08:46:53 EDT 2005

QOTW Members:

Last week, QOTW reached pathetic new lows of voter participation.  The
clear winner, however, was "I wish I were a snowflake, I wish I were a
raindrop, I wish I were a green leaf, swaying in the wind..." -Mr. Riahi,
trying to get Kate Alper's attention in class.  Congratulations, kudos,
and felicitaciones to Mr. Riahi.

As most of you know, QOTW will be run next year by Greta Friar '07.  This
is an exciting development for QOTW; it has suffered long enough under my
barely competent leadership.  Greta will bring a new vision to QOTW, and
will probably turn it into a multi-billion dollar franchise spanning all
seven continents.  I assume.

Make sure you vote this week; do so by listing as many quotes as you wish
in order from favorite to least favorite.  And if you wish to immerse
yourself even further in QOTW, sign up for the special Honorable Mentions
email by sending a message to honorablementions-subscribe at qotw.net.  The
Honorable Mentions email is considered by almost everyone to be better
than the regular email (and by "almost everyone" I mean "me and my cat").

This week's nominees:

"I'll always have a place in my heart for the Commonwealth jobs program...
a wet and soapy place, but a place nonetheless." -Ben Miller

"That way they feel better about paying $25,000 for their kids to be
beaten into submission and served up a plateful of D's." -Ms. Folkman, on
inviting parents of new Commonwealth students to school events

"Don't worry, honey.  I won't kill you if you decide to marry a gentile;
I'll just kill him." -Becca Thal's mother

"Feeding your healthy body at the expense of your immortal soul." -Mr.
Davis, seeing a student breaking taboo by eating above the basement

"Running the jobs program is its own reward.  It purges past sins, and
after three years you're ready for Sainthood." -Mr. Wharton

"I would love to meet with all Ultimate [Frisbee] players whose short-term
memory extends to seven minutes under the basketball hoop after recess."
-Mr. Milan, at announcements

"She quoted her son as saying, 'Mom, ...' and I noticed that all mothers
with boys your age always quote them as saying, 'Mom, blah blah blah
blah,' because we're trying to remember that you're still our little boys
as you go off to college.  But really none of you say, 'Mom,' you all
probably say, 'Hey, bimbo over there' or something like that." -Roswell
Thomas' mother

"Oh man, this is gonna be fun... theoretically." -Irene Kaplow, on the
Theoretical Calculus exam

"I was the quasi-date of this one guy.  He was married, but his wife was
out of town, so I was kind of the understudy... not in a creepy way!" -Ms.
Nulty, on attending a barbecue

"I take things out of my pockets to learn more about myself." -Norris
Wong, soul-searching

Voting closes at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 10 (several hours after the
close of my Commonwealth career.  Cry for me).

-Ben "I can't eat that muffin" Orlin